VPN or Virtual Private Network plays a vital part in the lives of regular internet users. It helps in increasing security, bypassing local content limits, and can also enhance network performance. If you have an Xbox, then you might be under the wrong impression that your gaming console does not need protection. Well, since it is a web-enabled device, it is prone to risks. If you do not want to worry about cyber threats while gaming, then you need to get a safe internet connection and this can be done through a VPN. In this blog, we will explore the process of setting up a VPN on Xbox One.
Setting up a VPN on Xbox One from PC
If you cannot setup the VPN from the home router, then you can make use of the computer for connecting your console to the VPN. Before getting started, you need to ensure that you have the following things:
- Windows desktop or laptop
- Ethernet Cable
- Xbox One
- VPN subscription
- First, you need to begin the installation of any chosen VPN software on the device.
- Hook up the Ethernet cable at the back of the Xbox One.
- Connect it to the computer as well.
- Go to the computer and open Control Panel.
- Click on Network and Sharing Center.
- Select Change Adapter Setting located at the left side of the screen.
- Find the icon of the VPN and right-click on it.
- From the Context Menu, select Properties.
- Click on the Sharing tab and ensure that you have allowed other network users to connect via the device’s internet connection.
- Check the network connectivity on the console.
Setting up a VPN on Xbox One from Mac
If you have a Mac, then do not fret. You can setup and access VPN on your Xbox One via Mac as well. The procedure is quite similar to the one of PC. Here’s what you will need:
- Ethernet cable
- Mac computer or laptop
- Xbox One
- Valid VPN subscription
- To begin with, you have to begin the installation of any selected VPN program on the Mac.
- Connect the Ethernet cable at the backside of your Xbox One.
- Hook it up to the Mac as well.
- Now you need to open System Preferences.
- Click on Sharing.
- Choose Internet Sharing option from the left menu on the screen.
- Click on the Share your connection from the pull-down.
- Choose the Wi-Fi option.
- In the To the Computers Using menu, ensure that you have selected Ethernet.
- In case you are using the Ethernet cable for connecting to the net on the device, then you need to share the connection via Wi-Fi.
- Place a checkmark on the box located next to Internet Sharing of enabling the sharing of the internet connection between the computer and Xbox One.
- When the connection is established successfully, you will see a green colored icon.
- Launch the VPN program on the device.
- Connect to the selected server.
- Check the internet connection.
Sofia Williams is a technology buff, IT expert and works in a leading printer manufacturing company. She loves to read and write about the latest technology concerning major printer brands and researches on the solutions related to canon printer support, Epson, Brother etc.